Services Directory

Caring for a child with special health care needs or can sometimes be financially overwhelming. Funding for evaluations, treatments, and/or equipment for individuals that are uninsured and/or undocumented is challenging. If your health insurance coverage does not cover what is needed, or your family has no insurance at all, the resources listed below may help with the health care costs.
Involving a care coordinator, social worker or family advocate to assess options and guide families in applying for appropriate programs, appealing denials, research charitable foundations and potential fund raising ideas is useful. For example many hospitals have charity care that you can apply for to help cover needed medical services. Contact a social worker in the hospital to assist with the application process.
Specific requests can be made for donated services (e.g., home oxygen) through some of the home care/health care organizations based upon need. Formula and food supplement donations are at times obtained by calling the company representatives for donations. Medicaid may be available for undocumented individuals for medical emergencies.
There are some options when an individual has inadequate or no health insurance coverage as follows:
Health Insurance Marketplace
Also known as the health insurance exchange, the Health Insurance Marketplace helps uninsured people find health coverage that meets their needs and budget and is part of the Affordable Care Act. Health Insurance Marketplace (
A federal program, administered by individual states, that covers the cost of some medical care. To qualify for Medicaid benefits, income and assets must be below a certain level. There are a few different categories under which a person may qualify. Utah's Medicaid Program
Medicaid Waiver
Programs are for individuals with disabilities and/or special health care needs who would otherwise be ineligible to receive Medicaid benefits because of income and assets. In addition to medical coverage, waiver programs may cover a number of other services and supports not traditionally covered by Medicaid. For more information about Utah's eligibility and current waivers: Utah's Eight Medicaid HCBS Waivers
A government program available to individuals over the age of 65 or with specific disabilities, such as chronic renal disease. An individual can receive Medicare benefits if they have worked enough to be covered by Social Security Disability Insurance, or if they have a parent who is already receiving Social Security.
Social Security Administration Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Non-Medical Benefits
SSI benefits are available to children with disabilities, under the age of 18, whose disability is expected to last more than 12 months or result in death, and whose parents' income and resources are limited. When a child reaches 18, he or she then needs to qualify based on his or her own income and assets and must meet the required guidelines.
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
SSDI benefits are payable to children, under the age of 18, if they have a parent who qualifies for or is collecting Social Security Retirement or Social Security Disability Insurance. If a parent has died, children under the age of 18 may collect dependent SSDI benefits on the parent's record if qualified. These payments are available to all children, regardless of whether the child has a disability. SSDI benefits from a parent's Social Security can continue to be paid into adulthood, if the child has a disability that began prior to the age of 22.
Community Health Centers
Community clinics who provide quality healthcare services including medical, dental, and behavioral health, particularly for low-to-moderate income, uninsured or underinsured Utahns who might otherwise not have access to healthcare. To locate a Community Health Center, go to Association for Utah Community Health (AUCH).
There are a number of free clinics throughout the state that provide free medical services for uninsured and low income families and individuals. Utah Free Clinic Directory


Information & Support

For Parents and Patients

IDEA Infant and Toddler Coordinators Association - State Contacts
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Infant and Toddler Coordinators Association - find an Early Intervention provider in any state.

Services in Rhode Island

Select services for a different state: ID, MT, NM, NV, UT

CHIP, State Children's Health Insur Prog

We currently have no CHIP, State Children's Health Insur Prog service providers listed; search our Services database for related services.

Early Intervention for Children with Disabilities/Delays

See all Early Intervention for Children with Disabilities/Delays services providers (12) in our database.

Financial Assistance, Other

See all Financial Assistance, Other services providers (4) in our database.

Legal Services, General

See all Legal Services, General services providers (1) in our database.


See all Medicaid services providers (5) in our database.

SSI, Supplemental Security Income

We currently have no SSI, Supplemental Security Income service providers listed; search our Services database for related services.

Services for People with Disabilities

See all Services for People with Disabilities services providers (3) in our database.

For other services related to this condition, browse our Services categories or search our database.

Authors & Reviewers

Initial Publication: September 2016;
Current Authors and Reviewers (click on name for bio):
Author: Gina Pola-Money